Sunday, February 19, 2017

The Little Mermaid (1989)

The Little Mermaid was never a big part of my childhood. I remember the first time I had ever watched it. It was in 3rd grade on a day my teacher was out, and I remember how excited I was walking into the classroom to find the TV wheeled in and placed in the middle of the room. I fell in love.

Music has always been a big part of my life, and when I was younger I wanted to be a singer when I grew up. For that reason, I loved the Little Mermaid simply for its musical numbers. I learned all the words to "under the sea" within the next few days, and watched it again at home just to show off my singing ability. My mom was not all that impressed. I sang anyways.
Along with singing, I loved being in and around water, especially the ocean. You can imagine my  disappointment then when Ariel decided to trade her beautiful voice and mermaid abilities for legs... Disappointment is an understatement. I was heartbroken. If I had the ability to breathe underwater and sing musical numbers with my fish friends all my dreams would have come true. 

 I understand better than anyone the rebellious stage Ariel found herself in, and I still find myself doing dumb, teenage things that my parents would disapprove of, but I was extremely disappointed in her decision making in this movie. Making a deal with Ursula was just so obviously not the move, and I found myself yelling at the screen as she gave up her powers for true love. bleh. I'd also say i'm in my independent "i'm gonna do whatever the hell I want with whoever the hell I want to" phase so maybe i'm a bit biased, but seriously, I would never give up such a vital part of who I am for a guy. From what i've seen, they're not worth it. 
After watching the movie as a somewhat adultish person, with my own somewhat adultish views and opinions, i've found a few things I don't necessarily enjoy in the movie. For one, the song that Ursula sings before taking Ariel's voice is quite disheartening. it's verses include things like, "yes on land it's much preferred for ladies not to say a word" and "they're (men) not all that impressed with conversation". These are not the only controversial lyrics sang in the ballad, but you get the point. A lot of the movie objectifies women, and It's upsetting to see. It scares me as well, because I don't want little girls hearing this and subconsciously, or consciously thinking that women are only good for something as trivial as their looks. I think a better message could have been sent, but similar to Cinderella, times were very different when The Little Mermaid first debuted. The role women play in society has changed so much over the past 60 years, and for that reason I will excuse Disney for the sexist undertones present in The Little Mermaid.

No comments:

Post a Comment