Sunday, February 19, 2017

Cinderella (1950)

Cinderella is the 12th animated movie made by Disney, making its appearance in 1950, and while it's crazy to think my grandparents were toddlers at the time of its debut, I do not share the majority's adoration of this OG Disney classic. 

I suppose the fact that I haven't seen the movie in nearly 12 years could be an attributing factor to my lack of admiration, but after reading up on all the Disney critique's regarding Disney Princesses, and their dependence on true love/lack of any real independence, my indifference became disfavor. However, when I was assigned to watch this movie for class I decided to put aside all other premonitions and watch again with an open mind.

After watching Cinderella I found a new respect for the Disney Princess. She really wasn't out searching for the love of her life, and she worked hard under her stepmothers oppression. She seemed to make the most out of her situation, as hellish as it was, and something about her patience and kindness was inspiring. 

I think it's possible to view Cinderella in two very different lights depending on how you approach the plot. For example, you could say Cinderella's grace and respect towards her family was admireable despite the mistreatment, but you could also twist this scenario and say it is disheartening to see a girl so willing to bend over backwards to please someone who treats her so poorly. Perhaps you could go as far to say you wouldn't want your children to see this sort of behavior, and fall under the impression that this sort of passive behavior could lead to anything positive.

Maybe if I were born in the 1950s, a less progressive time than now, I would have a better appreciation for Cinderella, but sadly (or not so sadly), I wasn't. Times have changed, and so have relationships. Now, Cinderella was already a bit unrealistic... ok a lot unrealistic, so no, I don't think people back in the 50s were dropping slippers left and right in hopes of finding their Prince Charming, but I do think there's a lot to be said of the importance we place on finding true love now compared to 70 years ago. Women today are starting their own businesses, signing professional athletic contracts, and running countries. Things that 70 years ago were unheard of. This shift in our culture has lead to a shift in our ideals. For some, finding your Prince Charming takes priority over everything else in life, while for others it's merely a side note. While I respect both, I think I fall more on the side of Independence, with a "go with the flow" type of attitude. If I happen to find someone along the way that's brilliant, if not I know i'm gonna live one helluva life regardless. 

I will say that after watching the film I have gained more respect for the character. While Cinderella is not my favorite, I have learned to appreciate it for what it is. I understand the 50s were a different time, and the storyline very much fit the time period it was produced in. If I ever find my Prince Charming maybe I'll start a family, and maybe just maybe I'll have Cinderella be apart of my kids life, like it was once apart of mine.


No comments:

Post a Comment