Sunday, April 23, 2017

Disney Recap

I have learned a lot over the course of this semester. I've read many critiques of Walt, and his corporate machine, and I have also come to respect all that they've accomplished. I can't say I have a polarized opinion leaning either way. Like most things in life I find myself understanding both sides to the story, and appreciating points from both the lovers and the critics. I think it's clear that Disney is one of the most successful companies of our era, and I can imagine their growth and influence will only continue to spread. Overall I have learned

1. Animation
 Animation is the key to their success, because it is timeless. Characters are able to be recreated effortlessly, and unlike real time movies, there is no expiration date on actors. Disney has the opportunity to come out with sequels for anything, and the earning potential is very high. As times change, and socially accepted standards change it is possible for Disney films to easily adapt. Creation is boundless, and there truly is nothing Disney cannot do. 
2. Disney and race
After reading through many critiques of early, and even present day Disney films, it is evident that Disney has many racial tendencies. I can understand this to an extent. The 1940s were a different time, and no this does not make these discriminatory narratives acceptable, but I think it's fair to say that certain things were more socially accepted than others. After all, Disney is a business, and they aim to please the masses. What I am not understanding of is the continued racial discrimination that plagues Disney movies today. Although not as obvious as the "Jim Crow" in Dumbo, recent releases feature just as socially damaging depictions of minorities. 
3. Slimy or Smart??
Disney has a way of making bad headlines go away quickly. Remember that little boy who was killed in a Disney lagoon by an alligator? no? Right, because it didn't headline. In fact, do you remember the last negative thing that was said about Disney in the news? Because I don't. So, shoutout to that PR team, because they keep the Disney's reputation squeaky clean. After all, it is the Happiest Place on Earth. What could ever go wrong? 
4. Sexism
Disney is notoriously sexist. Whether it's a Disney Princesses constant need for saving, or their lack of screen time in films it cannot be ignored that women are seen as a burden, and more often than not the very reason there's a problem at all. Disney has made some progressive changes with new films like Frozen, but there is still a long way to go. Similar to the racial discussion, the world was so very different 50 years ago. I can sympathize with many of the early films lack of strong, independent women, but at this point it's just sad. I want girls to grow up thinking they can be the hero, or the problem solver in life, not the burden.

No comments:

Post a Comment