Thursday, March 23, 2017

Pocahontas (1997)

Today we will dive deep into one of my favorite Disney films, Pocahontas. Pocahontas has a special place in my heart, and i'm not sure if it has something to do with the fact that it shares my birthday year, or simply because I probably watched it more times in school than I ever did anything else. For some reason my elementary school teachers LOVED this movie. I suppose when we learned all about Christopher Columbus this movie was slightly relevant, and I distinctly remember watching it when learning all about the discovery of America, but I'm not kidding, I saw this movie upwards of ten times throughout my elementary school experience alone. Not complaining. Colors of the Wind will always be a smash hit in my books, and I could probably still recite every word, despite not having watched it in years.
Today I learned that Pocahontas was actually only 13 years old, and she did in fact go to England where she died of smallpox, or syphilis, or something or other. Tragic. I like the Disney version better. 
Now, to the juicy stuff. 


... let's get started.
1. "Savages" 
 
Ah, the soundtrack that was enthusiastically chanted throughout my 3rd grade classroom. The problem I have with this movie is many times we, especially as children in school, are taught that these men who came over and "discovered" America were these brave, adventurous men who risked their lives to explore new lands. We even give them names like "conquistador" as opposed to "intruders" or "murderers", more fitting words for what they accomplished. They are glorified, and we are taught that the Native people were these barbaric, animals who attacked us. WE become the victims. However, I would argue that if the roles were reversed, and the Native Americans sailed over to Europe stole our resources, claimed our land and fell in love with our girls (who in reality were 13) we would probably have an issue. I also don't think this invasion would be handled peacefully. This song creates animosity between the Natives and Englishmen. It degrades the Native population, singing "savages, savages, barely even human".
So... a bit of a problem? maybe. 

probably, yes.
However, I do think that the Englishmen were shown in a pretty negative light, especially Governor Ratcliffe. His lust for gold and disregard for the Native population set him apart from men like John Smith whose intentions are more pure, and seem to be centered around exploration. It might be interesting to take this conversation in a different direction

2. flamboyant Disney heroes  

Many Disney critics often center their analysis around stories villains, and intend on finding patterns that group these antagonist characters together. Often male villains are given certain qualities and characteristics that are associated with gay men. Flamboyance, femininity, colorful outfits are just a few examples. Governor Ratcliffe certainly is... purple.

His demeanor is often quite feminine, from his fluid walk to the 'hand on hip' stance. The shoes are very petite, and small feet don't necessarily scream masculine. I also think the long pigtails should be acknowledged. Poor Governor Ratcliffe. Maybe his short temper and just pure unlikeability is simple a result of his closeted love for men. 
3. colors of the wind
absolute banger



No comments:

Post a Comment